The Alpha Course - starting January 2018
Exploring is good. We’re built for it. But for all our searching – it’s rare to find time to think, and talk, about the big questions of life; about faith and reason and God and meaning.
Directly below you can click on frequently asked questions about the course. Alternatively, you can go straight to our sign up page by clicking the link below.
What is Alpha?
In simple terms, Alpha is an open, informal and honest place to explore and discuss life’s big questions together. It's run all around the globe, and everyone's welcome. It take's place in cafés, churches, universities, homes – you name it. Ours is at The Rock Hub on Wellin Lane, Edwalton. When you join an Alpha course you’re not a student or pupil or delegate or even a participant. Instead you’re a guest – as though you’d turned up at a friend’s house for dinner and a chat.
What subjects do we cover?
Each week after food we explore together some of life's biggest questions on the big screen then spend time discussing them around our tables. The questions we will focus on, are:
- Is there more to life than this?
- Who is Jesus?
- Why did Jesus die?
- How can I have faith?
- What does the Holy Spirit do?
- How can I make the most of the rest of my life?
- How can I be filled with the Holy Spirit?
- Who is the Holy Spirit?
- Why and how do I pray?
- Why and how should I read the Bible?
- Does God heal today?
- What about the Church?
What's the format of each session?
A typical night looks like this:
- 7.00pm: Doors Open / drinks
- 7.30pm: Food served
- 8.00pm: Video
- 8.30pm: Round table discussion
- 9.00pm: Finish
What happens at Alpha?
Three main things: Food, video and conversation.
- FOOD – Most sessions start with food, because it’s a great way to connect and get to know everyone there.
- VIDEO – These short films explore the basics of the Christian faith and are designed to inspire conversation. There is one video per night and they usually last around thirty minutes long.
- CONVERSATIONS – There is a discussion after the video where you can share your thoughts and ideas on the session’s topic. You can say anything or just listen.
What are the dates?
The course runs across 7 evenings (focusing on one question per night), and a day together (where we strategically cover four questions).
These dates are:
- Thursday, 18 January 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday, 25 January 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday, 31 January 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday, 8 February 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday, 15 February 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm*
- Thursday, 22 February 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday, 1 March 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday, 8 March 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
- Saturday, 10 March 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday, 15 March 2018 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm*
* 15th February is half term week, if a significant amount of people are away this week, we will use the 15th March instead. We confirm the final dates after the first session.
What will I be walking into?
You will be greeted at the door, sign in at the registration desk, then shown into the main hall where the course takes place. Here you will be introduced to your table facilitator and can get to know other people. There will be time to get a drink and mingle before food is served up. Everything is set up to be relaxing and enjoyable.
How much does it cost?
Alpha is completely free. It's our gift to you.
Is anything expected of me during or after the course?
Absolutely not. Alpha is advertsied globally as 'no pressure, no follow-up, no fee' - and we fully intend to keep it that way!
How do I sign up?
Click here to go to our sign up page. There you will be asked a few basic questions to help us cater for everyone.